According to a recent report from Zillow, Denver homes won't appreciate as much as the national average over the next year. Zillow estimates that nationally, homes will appreciate 3.1 percent over
10 Easy Tips To Help Your Home Sell
- Add power outlets with USB ports in rooms that lack them, especially in the kitchen, bathrooms, and bedrooms where they’re most needed.
- Eliminate acoustic popcorn-style ceilings since they look dated and tacky.
- Remove exposed posts and half walls. Today’s buyers want more space, and partial walls and posts take up room. The only walls that should remain are those that offer privacy or conceal electrical wires or plumbing stacks.
- Update wiring for the Internet and flat-screen TVs. You don’t have to run CAT-5 through walls, which can be costly and require opening and closing and repainting walls. Instead, find a place to put a wireless router.
- Clean carpets and wood floors since they’re often the first part of a room that buyers check out, you don’t need to replace them unless they’re in terrible shape. A good carpet steam cleaning or wood floor waxing can be relatively inexpensive, sometimes less than $200.
- Expand a small kitchen to make it work better and look larger. A quick fix: Change the backsplash by adding mirrors, stainless steel, or paint, which will introduce light and views.
- Clear out and clean the garage, a big selling feature. Power wash the floor or paint it if it’s in bad shape, remove dated cabinets, and remove all junk that’s been stored there, so prospects can see how much space they would have for their stuff.
- Change out corroded or dented door knobs and levers. The replacements don’t have to be expensive but they should look new and clean.
- Pay attention to landscaping, which can add seven to 15 percent to a home’s value. Focus on mowing grass, removing crab grass, and eliminating dead plants and tree branches. Add lots of seasonal color through blooming annuals and perennial plants and remove problems like too much noise from traffic or neighbors by installing an inexpensive fountain with trickling water.
- Paint exterior windows, doors, gutters, downspouts, and trim, then go inside and paint the home’s trim, doorways, and walls that are in need of freshening. Don’t worry too much about the colors but consider those that veer toward quiet and comfort.
Ray and Carla have been working as a team since 1995. Carla’s extensive knowledge of the Denver area real estate market not only includes over 35 years as a Real Estate Broker Associate but also in....
Latest Blog Posts
According to a recent article in the Denver Post, a new 216-unit affordable apartment project broke ground in Commerce City last week. The homes at North Range Crossings will target people making